To My Baby Sister,
I thought about getting you a card and writing you a letter. I considered sending you an email, or facebook mail. Just writing on your timeline was not an option, considering the fact I know how much you stress about having to thank everyone properly. ;) So, I decided to make use of our failed blog to wish you a happy 27th birthday . And as I write this, I’m already worried that I forgot our username and password to post a blog…but I will deal with that when I’m done with my birthday wishes for you(ignore any grammar mistakes, please).
I don’t know the point when you went from being my little sister to also one of my best friends, but I’m thankful for every moment I’ve had with you. When I was 11/12 and mom told me she was expecting, I was so excited with the thought of having a baby in the house, and not being an only child anymore. I would get to help feed you, and dress you and put you to sleep. The newness of that wore off not long after you were born. Then another baby…then another baby....
Anyway…I don’t remember a specific point our relationship changed, but things I do remember:
- · I remember holding you in Mequon (in the upstairs of the house), and taking you to the window and watching it snow.
- · When we moved downstairs in Mequon, I remember watching you during the summer with the Kuzmic girls there, too, and singing Good Night, Sweetheart over and over and over to try to get you to nap.
- · After moving to Alabama, and our brothers being born, I remember sharing a bedroom with you (and spending time in the bathroom doing my homework so you could sleep).
- · Telling you I had mousetraps in my car (sorry).
- · The day I moved out of the house, and you crying and crying and crying…..I didn’t want to leave you, I promise. It was very heartbreaking for me, I didn’t expect that reaction.
- · Being with you and seeing you laugh out loud and hysterically for the first time while watching The Lion King. When Timon dressed in drag and did the hula. I still remember your face. I love the Lion King still…but that will always be my favorite moment watching it.
- · The first time you didn’t like a shirt I bought you. And realizing you were growing up and getting your own taste in clothes.
- · Buying you a cd with an explicit lyrics warning. Really, is No Scrubs so bad? I corrupted you.
- · Going with you to receive you state award from the essay you wrote for PALS. And then to a writing tea…I think…which I didn’t remember until this past month that I only went to because of the guilt you placed on me for not attending. Regardless, I’m glad I went.
- · Then I remember getting a MySpace page so I could spy on you….
- · …chasing you still…I got a Facebook page. Btw, I know we are great stalkers now, it was during those times I picked up a lot of my skills. Just fyi.
Off and on I remember you living with me, and I
remember fighting with you some during that
Sometimes you don't want to be touched or hugged,
but when it matters, you accept it.
- · My child thinks you were her daycare growing up…that you taught her everything to get her ready for school. You did an amazing job ;) I’m grateful for every moment you have spent with her since she was born. She is so lucky to have you.
- · Our trip to Savannah on your 18th birthday. One of my favorite vacations ever. I’m so happy to still have the pic of your face when the lights went out in the Moroccan restaurant before the belly dancer pulled you up to try to dance, too.
- · Although I tried to be sneaky, I’m so thankful I saw you and John walking from the courthouse to your car after you got married. I can’t say enough how happy I am for you to have someone by your side that I know loves you and will take care of you, and can handle all the times you worry about missing a vitamin, or a mark on your neck or a bump growing in your mouth.
- · I feel I’m blessed more than many to have the memory of seeing you hold your first child, and knowing without a doubt what wonderful parents you and John will be.
- · I thought a sister beach trip would be amazing…and it was great in its own way. I enjoyed spending time taking care of you off and on. Checking on you over and over to make sure you were still moving. There were fun times there, as well. Amy was able to visit and spend the night, and you were well enough one night to walk to the beach with me. Well….we almost made it to the beach. We sort of ran back to the room.
- · And today….I will never forget the phone call I just received. I woke up so excited to find out if I am going to have another niece or nephew. Now I know!!!!!!!
More recently, I could say a million things . Josie said she wants to videotape and YouTube our conversations. I think that wouldn’t be a good idea for us. There aren’t many people I’m as open with as you….I don’t ever have to walk on eggshells, or worry about hurt feelings when I talk to you. I can be totally myself, because you know me and all my flaws and love me anyway. I feel the same about you. To me, you are a perfect sister.
Happy birthday, Ash!